Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Risotto

Sorry for the lack of updates on my culinary exploits - I had to get back to my real full-time job last week, running a Youth Hostel and was a a bit busy. Never too busy to cook, of course, just to write about it! I'll try to bring you up to date over the next few days.

I love cooking risottos, they became something of a speciality during my vegetarian years - I'll give you the recipe for my signature risotto one day, but it's more of a summer dish. Even now I usually do them meat free, or with just a bit of pancetta for flavour, as I think they can be too heavy with lots of meat, but last week I got an idea for a fishy risotto that turned out rather fabulous, so I though I'd share it. It's made with hot smoked salmon, which I hope you will find available in a deli somewhere. Hot smoked trout would probably give a good result too, but if you can't get either, some cold smoked would suffice, gently stirred in at the end so that it cooks a little, although the result would not be quite the same.
Hot smoked salmon and leek risotto.
For 2 as a main course
2 leeks, not large ones.
25g butter and a little olive oil
200g risotto rice, carnaroli is my favourite
50ml dry vermouth or white wine
700ml chicken or vegetable stock
(must confess I'm a fan of Marigold stock powder if I don't have fresh)
Splash of double cream (optional)
1dsp wholegrain mustard
50g parmesan
150 - 200g hot smoked salmon
salt and pepper

Bring the stock to a simmer in a saucepan. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan. Slice the leeks into 1cm slices and fry in the butter until well softened and going a little browned. Remove some of the whitest pieces and reserve. Add the rice to the pan and with the heat on medium toast the rice for a few minutes - do not skip this as it is one of the essential steps to the perfect risotto! Add the vermouth or wine and reduce the heat so that it just simmers. When all the wine has been absorbed add a ladleful of the simmering stock and stir it. Keep an eye on the temperature, it should just simmer and give it a stir quite frequently to get a good creamy consistency. Keep adding ladles of stock when the previous one has been absorbed. Check a few grains of rice to see if it is nearly cooked when you have added most of the stock. The rice should still have some bite, not be soft, and when it is add a final half ladle of stock, the cream, mustard, grated parmesan and the reserved pieces of leek. Pull the pieces of salmon into flakes and put these on top of the rice. Place a lid on the pan and turn out the heat - the residual heat should finish cooking the rice and give you the perfect consistency, still slightly 'al dente'. Stir in the flakes of salmon and check the seasoning - watch the salt as the fish can be a little salty.


This would make a rather good dinner party starter and, with a bit more fish, would probably stretch to 5 or 6 as it is very rich, and you'd only need a small portion!
I'd love any feedback if anyone makes this, as it's a creation I'm quite proud of.

1 comment:

sierralima said...

I made this with regular smoked salmon as I couldn't find hot -
it turned out brilliantly.
Thanks for the recipe.
Sarah